I fell in love with this fabric the moment I saw it. I knew it would make a perfect button-up. The problem is, the last time I made a button-up shirt it was at 3am my sophomore year of college in the sewing lab. I was frantically trying to finish it for my final. It was out of this very baby girl nursery-esque print that was the best they had at Joanns and I knew I would never wear it. Since then, I have avoided button-up tops like the plague (and you’ll find how much I like purchased patterns here). But gosh danggit, that fabric. So I went for it.
The pattern assumes that you know how to apply a placket. I wasn’t even totally sure what that was, but I figured that wasn’t anything Youtube couldn’t fix. The pattern was actually pretty straight-forward. The directions were entertaining (“Told you you needed to mark all those stitch lines!”). I took my time with this one and actually made a muslin first. A muslin you guys. I have as much patience as my 3-year-old when it comes to sewing, so sewing the shirt with practice fabric before actually sewing the shirt was a real feat for me. But it was a smart move. I mastered those dang plackets, and made a few adjustments to my final pattern. I took in the sides and sleeves in a bit, and had the shirt button all the way down instead of just half-way like on the pattern. And I am totally pleased with the result. Now I have an altered pattern that I know fits me perfect that I plan on recreating probably more times than you want to see. And that mint and pink check have Easter weekend written all over it.