FLORAL DRESS (I’m wearing a Small) || DISTRESSED DENIM JACKET (I’m wearing a size 2, sold out but I found an almost identical one here, and completely obsessed with the pearl detailing on this one) || HEELS (similar) || SIMILAR SUNGLASSES (also love this pair) || TORY BURCH PURSE || SIMILAR CHOKER
We have so many happy, fun, care free moments. We also have lots of crazy, stressful, “I’m going to lose my mind” moments. I have a career that I never thought I would have that I couldn’t love more. I get to be a stay at home mom to my boys, and I get to still be creative and passionate, and express my feminine side on this online space to my hearts’ content. I have been uplifted and inspired by so many women and readers in this online space! It’s the perfect way to balance out the very unbalanced boy to girl ratio in my house! But in total honesty, I am so happy and so content with where I am at in my life right now.
BUT…that doesn’t mean that I am always good at honing in on that happiness. There have been too many times in my life recently where I have been discouraged. I need to work daily at being happy and at peace with where I am at in my life, and I think we can all benefit from allowing ourselves to be happy with our current circumstances too. So here is my little happiness list. A few things that I’m going to work on more the rest of this year to help me keep my head in a state of happiness, regardless of the circumstances around me.
- If I want something to be special, I need to first create this “special” atmosphere. A birthday, an anniversary, or other important milestones in life aren’t going to feel special unless I put in the effort to make them feel special. It could be as simple as a little birthday bunting on the fireplace and fresh flowers on the table. I’ve been trying to straighten up the house a little more before the boys get home from school recently, and for some reason, just walking into the house with all the boys when it is a little more picked up makes the afternoons feel a bit more special, and less stressful too!
- Exercise. This could be a whole post in and of itself, but I have really gotten into a good groove of exercising regularly and it just makes me feel happy! I explained a little about it on my instagram stories the other day, but I work out now more to feel good than to look good. I love listening to podcasts (usually on business, self help, parenting) that are uplifting as well. It clears my head and gives my a mental and physical “umph” for the day!
- Take time daily to just be grateful. For me, this means saying a prayer each morning or night listing only the things I’m thankful for. To someone else, it could mean writing down a list, or a 10 minute meditation session where you mentally list off things you are thankful for. Whatever method works for you, I have found that a disposition of gratefulness leads to a feeling of happiness.
- Let yourself get mad/frustrated…then get over it. Sometimes it just feel SO good to yell, swear, complain…whatever. The problem for me comes when I let those frustrated feelings take over. I don’t control them, so they start to control me. It causes me to be less patient, and all of a sudden I’m snapping at my kids for dropping crackers on the rug simply because I’m frustrated that our internet is being painfully slow. I need to acknowledge that I am frustrated (usually this means I text Garrett about how annoyed I am…poor guy), but then I just need to move forward. I can’t allow those feelings to trickle into how I treat others or my productivity level.
- Take time to look back instead of looking forward so often. I am constantly thinking about the future. That distant future when we can afford a bigger house, when I can be more patient, etc, etc. It is mentally exhausting, and while sometimes it is motivating, most times it is discouraging. I want to spend more time looking back on my accomplishments of the past few months and see how far I have come. Maybe I landed an awesome job with a great brand, or I took time to take one of the boys on a one on one date. This will be satisfying and leave me feeling happy rather than discouraged.
I hope some of these ideas will help jump start you guys too! I’m always looking for small ways to work on being happy and in the moment. I would love any other suggestions you have! Feel free to leave them in the comments below.
SHOP MY LOOK: